Tips for Better Sleep
Here are some tips that you can take advantage of to increase the chances of obtaining a better nightís sleep:
- Start with a schedule. When you adhere to a schedule every single night that allows the individual to sleep at the same time every night the body becomes adjusted to this schedule and can therefore allow the individual to create a healthy sleeping schedule.
- Dimming the lights before bedtime can be an effective way to reduce stress and prepare the body for bed. This can enable the individual to prepare the body for sleep and can reduce the amount of time that it takes for the individual to get to sleep during the night.
- Spend no more than thirty minutes trying to fall asleep before switching activities. This means that you should spend thirty minutes in bed without stimulation trying to fall asleep, if you are unable to through this time than the individual should perhaps try reading, a warm bath or even a low-intensity walk to prepare the body for sleep.
- Donít look to alcohol or a night cap to try and fall asleep in the evening as this can reduce the chances of the individual being able to remain asleep through the night. This is not the answer when it comes to insomnia or other sleep disorders and can lead to troublesome illnesses developing like sleep apnea or worsening snoring issues.
- Have a small snack before bed to ensure that you are satisfied and will not awake hungry throughout the night. The snack should be healthy and low in sugar and contain no caffeine. Heavy meals should also be avoided close to bed as this can cause issues within the digestive system and can lead to the individual being unable to sleep through the entire night, or having problems falling asleep.
- Donít go to bed before you feel tired, within reason. Going to bed before you feel tired can be a way to associate the bed with other activities and can reduce the chances of the individual being able to easily fall asleep. In the case that you are not tired, other activities should be undertaken until the individual is tired and wishes to go to bed.